DB on Linux server?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby keggler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:41 pm

right, now you've got the good ol' service permissions problem...

check my post here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6332 on how to resolve;

also make sure you are running as an administrator,if it's vista,turn uac off and before you step back to reinstall, delete the postgres folders manually (ON THE DESKTOP NOT THE DEBIAN :o ) and do a net user postgres /delete from a dos command prompt...


susan
keggler
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:53 am

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:16 pm

OK - I followed the instructions in that thread but the only non-postgres folders that I can see being accessed by any of the 4 postgres processes are "C:\" and "C:\Program Files\"

There's no registry access at all.
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby keggler » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 am

so has procmon identified the rogue app? if i was a gambling lady :D i guess anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall that's stopping the postgres postmaster getting going...


susan
keggler
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:53 am

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 am

If you are trying to connect to the Postgres database running on your Linux server FROM your desktop you should NOT try to start the postmaster service on the desktop!! Remove the postgres installation from your desktop as quickly as possible. Download PT without postgres and install that.

Also the /etc/postgres/pg_hba.conf file on the Linux server should give all systems in your home network access: "192.168.70.155 255.255.255.0" is really exactly the same as "192.168.70.159 255.255.255.0". It means that all IP addresses in the range 192.168.70.0 through to 192.168.70.255 are recognised, as indicated by the last 0 in the netmask. So you could replace both lines with "192.168.70.0 255.255.255.0" or even "192.168.70.0/24". These last 2 are each others equivalent.

Anyway, if you can connect from your laptop you should also be able to connect from your desktop. I would suggest looking at the configuration parameters that PT has, like username, password (case sensitive!!) and the host name or host IP address where you run the postgres database.
Guest
 

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:10 am

keggler wrote:so has procmon identified the rogue app? if i was a gambling lady :D i guess anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall that's stopping the postgres postmaster getting going...


susan


No. I don't know if I'm even using procmon correctly, but I can only see C:\ , C:\Program Files\ , and C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL being accessed by the 4 postrgresql processes. No registry access at all.
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:18 am

gvdbilt wrote:If you are trying to connect to the Postgres database running on your Linux server FROM your desktop you should NOT try to start the postmaster service on the desktop!! Remove the postgres installation from your desktop as quickly as possible. Download PT without postgres and install that.


I tried that first. It says "PT cannot run without postgres" and refuses to start - that's why I had to install it again WITH postgres.

Also the /etc/postgres/pg_hba.conf file on the Linux server should give all systems in your home network access: "192.168.70.155 255.255.255.0" is really exactly the same as "192.168.70.159 255.255.255.0". It means that all IP addresses in the range 192.168.70.0 through to 192.168.70.255 are recognised, as indicated by the last 0 in the netmask.


Is that right? It seems to conflict with the previous answers I've had on this thread.

So you could replace both lines with "192.168.70.0 255.255.255.0" or even "192.168.70.0/24". These last 2 are each others equivalent.


I couldn't get it to work at all using the "/24" suffix... even the laptop fails to connect with that in there.

Anyway, if you can connect from your laptop you should also be able to connect from your desktop. I would suggest looking at the configuration parameters that PT has, like username, password (case sensitive!!) and the host name or host IP address where you run the postgres database.


I don't think the program is getting that far - the "can't connect to database" warning box appears so quickly that there's no way it has had time to send the info to the linux server, have it processed, and then send the "failed to connect" message back to the desktop. It's practically instantaneous. Click "connect" and then I've barely had time to remove my finger from the mouse button when the box appears to tell me it's failed.

I'm pretty certain that either a: the "connect" packets aren't even leaving my XP desktop at all, or b: something on the linux machine is blocking the traffic from the XP desktop on the required port.
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 am

keggler wrote:so has procmon identified the rogue app? if i was a gambling lady :D i guess anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall that's stopping the postgres postmaster getting going...


susan


I'm still none the wiser.

I've even created a new blank user account and tried again but it still won't install postgres. :-|
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 am

Right.

In desperation, I've tried installing PostgreSQL on its own - without PT - and it' saying "port 5432 already in use, choose another port"

Now, I don't know which ports up there are "available" for this kind of thing, so I don't know which other port I should use.

On the other hand, could this port being in use be the reason I can't get it working when I run the PT3 PGSQL installer?
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 am

OK...

1. deinstalled postgres and pokertracker
2. deleted local user postgres with: net user postgres /delete
3. uninstalled ESET Smart Security and Norton SystemWorks 2005
4. installed postgres again

...and it's worked.

postgresql is now installed and running on the XP machine...

now for PT...
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Re: DB on Linux server?

Postby fyl2u » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:06 am

Yay, that's got it.

PT3 B14 now installed on my XP desktop.

Deleting postgresql from XP desktop now...
fyl2u
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests