PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

Postby joeyjo3joE » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 am

Hi

I have PC Tools Spyware Doctor and today when running PT3 with PostgreSQL8.3 it flashed a warning that C:\PROGRAM FILES\POSTGRESQL\8.3\BIN\POSTGRES.EXE was logging keystrokes. I quarantined the file and now obviously cannot use PT unless I remove POSTGRES.EXE from quarantine which I am not willing to do given the warning.

I used the 60 day trial and have been using the purchased version for about a week without this occurring.

Is Spyware Doctor misinterpreting some other action by postgres.exe? Why would this occur now and not before?

Please help as PT is obv dead without postgres.exe.

Thanks
joeyjo3joE
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 am

Re: PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

Postby kraada » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am

I haven't heard of any warnings about PostgreSQL doing any keylogging. I've also never heard of Spyware Doctor. I'd encourage you to contact Spyware Doctor to see if this is a known false positive.

You can reinstall PostgreSQL from the PostgreSQL website and you can be sure there is no keylogging built into it.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

Postby jungleman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:03 pm

i also just got this report, was just about to post

i also, use vista and spywaredoctor O_o
jungleman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:23 am

Re: PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

Postby kraada » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:24 pm

That seems likely that it's a false positive from them, then. One person could have gotten PostgreSQL randomly hijacked but I think it's highly unlikely to happen independently to two people. I recommend contacting them directly so that they get this fixed quickly.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

Postby joeyjo3joE » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:59 am

Thanks, I've emailed them and will wait to see what they come back with. I just deleted PostgreSQL and noted that the folder was 1.2 gig, but definitely don't remember downloading anywhere near this to install the program. Is something wrong here?
joeyjo3joE
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 am

Re: PostgreSQL8.3 keystroke logging warning

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Postgres is the database that PT3 uses to store it's data, so the folder will get bigger as more information is added.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests