Which OS for PT3 dataserver

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Which OS for PT3 dataserver

Postby Trip_L » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Bit of a general question but I've been having trouble with my databases on a WinXP machine with 1.5Gb RAM and 180Gb 72k RPM drive, so I have bought a 64Bit 4Gb RAM 350Gb 72k RPM system with no OS installed, so I'm wondering which way to jump; XP again or Ubuntu 8.04 server?

My databases contain a large amount of mined hands totaling about 80Gb (I am meaning to shrink this down by compressing data into a single super cache), because of the near constant mining I'm leaning towards Ubuntu and not having to defrag constantly, are there any specific difference running PT3 PGSQL on Linux that a hardened Windows user needs to be aware of?

Thanks Guys
Trip_L
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:53 pm
Location: UK

Re: Which OS for PT3 dataserver

Postby kraada » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 pm

I'm a bit biased as I run Ubuntu myself (8.10 Server), but I'm a big Linux fan. For PostgreSQL it's also likely going to be much more stable. I've literally never had a problem with PostgreSQL on a Linux server (going back to RedHat 6.2 and PTv2). The out of the box PostgreSQL installation on Ubuntu works just fine, though you should remember to go clear out the log files in /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_log once every few weeks as they can build up especially if you have large databases and do housekeeping regularly.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests