OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby DerekG » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:36 am

Hi all,

I recently fried a HD partition losing both PSQL and my databases. This time around I'd like to install PSQL in my system drive but keep my databases on a different drive to conserve space in my system drive. Is it ok to change this directory or will it cause problems with PT3?

Thanks,
Derek

[ img ]
DerekG
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 am

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby kraada » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 am

It won't cause any problems with PT3 whatsoever. The only thing that might come up is if you are reusing an old PT3 installation, you're going to want to edit the C:\Program Files\PokerTracker 3\Data\Config\PokerTracker.cfg file and blank the [Databases] section, as the databases it would try to look for will no longer be available. (Deleting this data will basically cause PT3 to forget all of the databases saved, so you'd need to reattach them once and that's it.)
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby DerekG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:02 am

Thanks kraada, just one more question. When I review the installation instructions here

http://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT ... nstallSQL2

[ img ]

It shows SQL_ASCII is selected and we are instructed to leave the settings at default. However, when I go to install PSQL 8.3 manually, the window looks different. Instead of a single option for encoding there are two and the default settings are WIN1252 for both client and server encoding on the "Initialize Database Cluster" window. Should I change the settings to SQL_ASCII?

Here is a screenshot of the current window in case you want to update your instruction page:
[ img ]
DerekG
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 am

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby kraada » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:18 am

I don't believe that will make a difference.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby DerekG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:20 am

I did change it from Win1252 to SQL_ASCII during install since that what was showing in the instructions. When I select the db using PGAdmin III I get this notice. Hopefully this isn't a problem? I do remember Unicode from the PT2 settings.

Database encoding
The database is created to store data using the SQL_ASCII encoding. This encoding is defined for 7 bit characters only; the meaning of characters with the 8th bit set (non-ASCII characters 127-255) is not defined. Consequently, it is not possible for the server to convert the data to other encodings.
If you're storing non-ASCII data in the database, you're strongly encouraged to use a proper database encoding representing your locale character set to take benefit from the automatic conversion to different client encodings when needed. If you store non-ASCII data in an SQL_ASCII database, you may encounter weird characters written to or read from the database, caused by code conversion problems. This may cause you a lot of headache when accessing the database using different client programs and drivers.
For most installations, Unicode (UTF8) encoding will provide the most flexible capabilities.
DerekG
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 am

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby kraada » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 am

PT3 is a complete ground up rewrite from PTv2, so things aren't done in the same ways, and this shouldn't be a problem so far as I'm aware.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby DerekG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:50 pm

That's fine but just to be clear this was a manual install of PSQL. I did not install PSQL via PT3 so I don't know what settings (WIN1252, SQL_ASCII, or other) are used when PT3 installs PSQL.
DerekG
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 am

Re: OK to install PSQL in one drive, databases in another?

Postby kraada » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:10 pm

I understand, I just wanted to clarify as well in case it wasn't obvious why the change. Is everything working well for you now?
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests