Page 1 of 1
PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 am
by toocool
I can't get postgresql 8.3.xx to install. It always fails to start service on the end of instal process. I just reinstalled my windows xp home edition (finnish language) because I couldnt get PT3 to start up (I could install postgresql but PT3 just didnt start even though it installed without errors and postgre runned fine after restarting it). I only have one account on computer and its admin.
I also have uninstalled sql, and sql account like it says in PokerTracker3_Manual_Uninstall_Reinstall_PostgreSQL.pdf and deleted postgresql folder from program files but can't start service at the end of install. I also have tried to disable my firewall, antivirus (f-secure) before installing but get same problem.
What do I do next?
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am
by WhiteRider
F-Secure is known to cause problems with Postgres. Other people tell us that if you uninstall it rather than just disabling it then Postgres will start. Unfortunately if f-secure is preventing postgres from running then there is nothing PT3 can do about that since we don't write either of those applications.
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 am
by toocool
Is this new problem? Just asking 'cos I have run postgres and PT2/3 for couple years before without major problems. Although I havent ever been able to get postgre start automatically properly when windows starts. I have always been forced to start postgre manually through services whenever restarting my pc...
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 am
by WhiteRider
I'm not sure - I don't use F-Secure myself. Maybe there was a recent update to it that started this problem.
There have been several reports of this over the last few weeks.
Try uninstalling it and see if that allows you to run postgres, just to confirm the issue.
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:39 am
by toocool
I unistalled f-secure and postgresql and PT3 run fine. No installation problems or anything. Minute I install f-secure back postgre stops working and PT3 doesn't start anymore. On system manager I can see that there's number of postgres.exes running and one pokertracker.exe but nothing happens.
Also if I try to restart postgreSQL via services I get error saying about "Service postgreSQL database server 8.3 in target local computer couldn't be started. Error 1053: Service didn't answer to starting- or controlrequest in time."
So yeah it seems f-secure is to blame. They have recently done something to make f-secure interfere with running of postgresql... Is there anything that can be done without changing to other security program?
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:54 am
by WhiteRider
Not that I'm aware of at the moment, but you could add your voice to the complaints by contacting F-Secure.
Postgres is a pretty widely used service so F-Secure should allow it to work.
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 am
by toocool
OK I think I'll vote with my wallet then. Anyidea if Symantec Norton 360 or Symantec Norton Internet is good fit with postgresql and pt3?
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:33 pm
by toocool
Ok had to give update. I just installed trial version of Norton 360 and everything runs fine now. I don't have to manually restart postgreSQL anymore and PT3 works great. So I'm switching to Norton.
Thanks for all advice about this. Great customer service!
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't install: can't start service

Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:36 pm
by WhiteRider
You're welcome - glad you have it working.