Password Problem

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Password Problem

Postby jimmyzhou » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:29 am

Hi,

I have Postgre 8.4 installed. I have forgotten my password to connect to the server, and 'dbpass' is not working.
The tutorial for resetting the password uses Postgre 8.3, and the edit pg_hba.conf link is not in the programs menu for 8.4 (it seems). I opened pgAdminIII and under 'File' it has an option to open pg_hba.conf, but when I do I get a blank window.
I'm probably doing something stupid but I appreciate any help.

-Jimmy
jimmyzhou
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Password Problem

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 am

You can open that file manually - it is somewhere like:
c:\program files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data

Use Notepad, and run it as administrator (right click > Run As Administrator) so that you can save your changes.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Password Problem

Postby jimmyzhou » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Thank you WhiteRider, it worked!
jimmyzhou
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Password Problem

Postby tazztaz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 pm

WhiteRider wrote:You can open that file manually - it is somewhere like:
c:\program files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data

Use Notepad, and run it as administrator (right click > Run As Administrator) so that you can save your changes.


I am some what PC illiterate, Could one of you please explain witch file to open and witch fields to edit?
tazztaz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Password Problem

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 am

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right click Notepad and click Run As Administrator.

Click File, click Open, click Computer, double click C: then PostgreSQL then 8.4 (or 8.3 if that's what you have), then data. Make sure the drop down on the lower part of the screen says All Files (*.*) if it says Text Files (*.txt) change it to All Files. Select the pg_hba.conf file (it may just look like pg_hba though), and click Ok.

Scroll to the bottom of the file, change 'md5' to 'trust' (you don't need the quotes).

Click File, click Save.

Click Start, click All Programs, click PostgreSQL 8.4, click Stop Server. Click Start, click All Programs, click PostgreSQL 8.4, click Start Server. You should now be able to connect.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests