PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby N0L1M1T » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi,
I have PT3 set up in a VMWare virtual machine. Earlier today I made what turned out to be the fateful decision to move the virtual machine. Since doing so the VM itself has been fine but pokertracker isn't. I get the initial welcome screen and then a window pops up asking me to create a new database (which fails if I try). If I cancel out of that window a "critical database error" window pops up (cos it can't find a DB to use). Exiting out of that window then takes me to a "Select Default Database" window in which my old database is shown but greyed out.

What I notice in this window is that the postgresql version display is 0.0.0 so I assume that pokertracker is failing to connect to postgresql. And the following postgres log extract confirms that:

18 01:24:48 GMT LOG: incomplete startup packet
2010-02-18 01:24:49 GMT LOG: loaded library "$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll"
2010-02-18 01:24:49 GMT LOG: could not receive data from client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Now, the postgresql service is running and I have nothing unusual about my configuration within the VM. Indeed, I only moved the VM from one folder to another on the same host!

Unfortunately, I know nothing about postgresql. So can someone help me out with troubleshooting and fixing this problem? Should I uninstall postgresql? What will that do to the existing database (wherever it is)?

Regards,
david
N0L1M1T
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:36 am

David,

Could you open your PokerTracker.cfg file and paste the [Databases] section here so that I can see what it says? (You can blank out the password lines.) You can find this file in C:\Program Files\PokerTracker 3\Data\Config\.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby N0L1M1T » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Here it is:

[Database]
Default.Postgres.Server=localhost
Default.Postgres.Port=5432
Default.Postgres.User=postgres
Default.Postgres.Password=********
DB1.Name=PokerTracker 3 VM Database
DB1.Type=postgres
DB1.Postgres.Database=PT3 DB
DB1.Postgres.Server=localhost
DB1.Postgres.Port=5432
DB1.Postgres.User=postgres
DB1.Postgres.Password=********
DB1.Default=Y


Regards,
Dave
N0L1M1T
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Can you connect to PostgreSQL via Start --> Programs --> PostgreSQL --> psql to 'postgres'?
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby N0L1M1T » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,
I've just been reading that VMWare Workstation generates a new MAC address when a VM is moved. Would that affect postgresql in this situation?


Regards,
Dave
N0L1M1T
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

It really shouldn't matter; PT3 just tries to connect on localhost . . .
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby N0L1M1T » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Have to psql to postgres and get:

"psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request"
'

Regards,
Dave
N0L1M1T
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm

What firewall/antivirus software are you running?
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby N0L1M1T » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Windows firewall and no anti-virus. However, it ran perfectly before the move with the firewall switched on. And witching off the firewall has no effect.


Regards,
Dave
N0L1M1T
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am

Re: PT3 in Virtual Machine - Problem

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

That's odd.

Please create a support ticket using this link and we'll schedule a remote session so that I can see what's going on directly with you.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests