Page 1 of 1

Multiple computers logging to same DB

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:35 am
by axewater
Hi

I want to setup my laptop and desktop to log to the same database, running on my homeserver.
I did a search and found 2 old threads where this topic was discussed. It was said that this will work as long as the 2 clients are not logging data at the same time. From a database perspective, i don't see why this wouldn't work with both clients logging at the same time. There are days when I use 2 systems simultaneously to use more screen estate (sundays, you know), and it would be great if everything works with a single database, both PCs inserting new data at the same time.

Has this ever been tested ?
What kind of problems can I expect when 2 PCs log at the same time (they will never be at the same table) ?
I'll be using a pretty fast server on a 1Gbit wired network, will I notice a difference between performance of a local database and the remote one ?

Thanks for any help

Allan

Re: Multiple computers logging to same DB

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:37 am
by kraada
It will cause problems because of the way in which the transactions are performed and we do not recommend that you do this.

However, both computers being connected to the same server will work fine - if you create two databases on that server, and one computer imports to one and the other imports to the other it will work properly. You could even use both in a HUD at the same time without problems then.

Re: Multiple computers logging to same DB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:08 am
by BDNannac
krada can you elaborate a little? I'm trying to set up my PT3 just like this. For the life of me I can't get it to work. I have PT3 installed on my Mac. I also play poker in VMware where I would like to be able to connect to the Mac database. I've read and tried the network setup thread with no luck. When I try to change the server in the add new database screen I keep getting this error - Database Test Failed:Unable to Login. Reason: Fatal: no pg_hba.conf entry for host 192.168.1.104

Re: Multiple computers logging to same DB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 am
by WhiteRider
You probably need to add an entry for your ip address to the pg_hba.conf file.
You should be able to access that from the Start menu in your VM: PostgreSQL > Configuration Files.

Re: Multiple computers logging to same DB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:03 pm
by BDNannac
Figured it out. The config file wasn't updating until I restarted the VMware session. Thanks for your help WhiteRider.

Re: Multiple computers logging to same DB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:02 pm
by WhiteRider
Cool - glad you got it working! :)