Page 1 of 2
database access

Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am
by trivialerpokerer
Hi,
i am thinking about conducting an empirical analysis with the help of Pokertracker 3 and PostgreSQl.
As I dont know too much about PostgreSQl, I thought why not ask here before reading through the manual.
Is it possible to open the database and view all columns and rows with the imported information Pokertracker uses? If it is possible, can I "copy paste" this data? I am only familiar with MS SQl where this is rather easy.
For example, I am hoping to eventually import data such as PlayerX preflop raise percentage YY, flop raise percentage ZZ etc. into a STATA 10 (statistical program).
Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards
Re: database access

Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm
by kraada
Yes, I believe you can do this via PGAdmin III - the graphical interface for PostgreSQL which should be on your system by default when PostgreSQL is installed. Though you should note that the actual statistical data is mostly saved in the cache tables - the non-cache tables are the raw data from each hand and you'd need to calculate the stats you want to know otherwise.
Re: database access

Posted:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:08 am
by trivialerpokerer
Thank you for answering!
After my vacation, I now had some time to read through some of the Pockertracker guides (Statistical Reference Guide and PostgreSQL Database Schema Documentation). Therefore, I think I now understand what you mean since I found the tables described in the PostgreSQL Database Schema Documentation and understand how the individual statistics are calculated. "Copy Pasting"the information from the tables is easy via the pgAdmin III tool you mentioned (thanks again).
My question now is: Is there any way to access these specific cache tables? For example, I could easily configure the data I need in the "Cash Games/General" tab under "Player Statistics" in PockerTracker 3. Doesn't this data have to saved somewhere (e.g. the info preflop raise percentage for a player) and therefore accessible or am I mistaken? I found the "holdem_cache" table in pgAdmin III but there is no data in it.
Regards ;)
Re: database access

Posted:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:15 am
by WhiteRider
If the holdem_cache table is empty then you need to build the cache.
Enable the Rebuild Cache option in Database > Housekeeping. This can take a while if you have a large database so you might want to run it overnight or when you are away from your computer for a while. A small database won't take too long, though.
Re: database access

Posted:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:38 am
by trivialerpokerer
ok, thanks
but can I define the data in the cache (e.g. limit it to the player statistic in my case)? Or in general, how do I know which data will be in the cache after I performed housekeeping with "Rebuild Cache" enabled?
Regards
Re: database access

Posted:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:13 pm
by WhiteRider
The cache contains all of the stats in the Holdem Cash Player Statistics section (and for tournaments and omaha, in separate cache tables).
Re: database access

Posted:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:35 pm
by trivialerpokerer
cool, thanks for the info ;)
if that works out, that would make my study so much easier ;)
great service here!
Re: database access

Posted:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:53 pm
by WhiteRider
You're welcome.
Re: database access

Posted:
Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 pm
by trivialerpokerer
I have data in the cache table for holdem now, so I have a couple of new questions ;)
- Why is each player listed several times? Is that a mistake or is the data listed per each session or sth similar?
- I still can't find the statistical data such as "Big bets won per 100 hands". The columns are listed e.g. amt_bb_won and I can see how the "BB/100" is calculated from your guides or in PT3 itself (in the configure stats area) but not any of the actual statistics. Is there a way to see this data for all players in a db table? And in general, is there a guide or manual for the cache table?
Would it solve my problem if I added the the statistics to the columns in the "Configure Statistics" area of PT3 or would PosgreSQl not be able to display the data in the table then?
Worst case scenario for me would be that I would have to do the calculation again myself but since PT3 already does the calculations (somehow and where?) I was of course hoping to just be able use that data.
Thx and regards
Re: database access

Posted:
Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:59 pm
by WhiteRider
Players are listed several times because the data is cached for different situations, such as positionally.
The stats themselves aren't stored in the cache, only the column values. The stats are calculated from the cached column values.
Would it solve my problem if I added the the statistics to the columns in the "Configure Statistics" area of PT3 or would PosgreSQl not be able to display the data in the table then?
I'm not sure what you mean by this?