Transferring previous Postgres data to new install?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Transferring previous Postgres data to new install?

Postby PascalT » Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 pm

I've been looking all over for the way to do this but cannot find it. I've done it before but forgot.

I have an old windows/postgres install on drive B. I have a new windows/postgres install on A. I want to move the data from B to A without using the backup/restore method (the backup is old). I thought I could do this by just copying the Data folder but it doesn't seem to work. Do I need to keep some files intact like the config ones?

Thanks.
PascalT
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Transferring previous Postgres data to new install?

Postby APerfect10 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:59 pm

The only way to move databases between different major versions of PostgreSQL is to use pg_dump and pg_restore.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Transferring previous Postgres data to new install?

Postby PascalT » Sat May 24, 2008 8:12 pm

what if it's the same version of Postgres, is it possible?

thanks
PascalT
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 4:12 pm


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests