2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby kakature » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:34 am

First problem: My PostgreSQL folder is 20 GB. The folder was only like 3 GB big when I used PT2 back in the days. PT3 is using the same exact database but only a few thousand hands more. I vacuumed & clustered the database but it's no use. Database has about 1.3m hands.

Second problem:

I uninstalled my firewall program (Zone Alarm) today and now postgreSQL won't start anymore. PT3 gives this error:
Code: Select all
Unable to begin import process. Reason: Unable to login to database (PT3 DB). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)     Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting     TCP/IP connections on port 5432?


I googled a bit and found out that my Windows XP SP2 firewall blocked the port. So I added port 5432 TCP to the list of exeptions and rebooted but that didn't fix anything.
I stopped and started the process a few times but nothing happens, I don't see a postgresql process in task manager.

So I opened the port in my router but that didn't help either so I really don't know what to do now.
kakature
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 am

Re: 2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby airharm » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:52 am

bump, i have the same problem

plz fix this asap
airharm
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 4:17 am

Re: 2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby kakature » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Bump.
kakature
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 am

Re: 2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:00 pm

The database will be bigger in PT3 because it stores much more information.

As for the postgres service problem, I'm afraid I can't really help, but are you getting any error messages when you try to start postgres?
Are you doing Start -> Programs -> Postgres -> Start Service?
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: 2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby kakature » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Yes I'm doing all that. No I don't get any error messages when trying to start postgreSQL.

I think the only solution is to reinstall PostreSQL but that will delete my database right? It's too late for backups now I suppose? :(

Thanks.
kakature
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 am

Re: 2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:07 pm

I think you may be able to do something by copying the data folder, but I really don't know enough about postgres, sorry.
Maybe someone else can help with the backups thing before you re-install?
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: 2 PostgreSQL 8.2 problems

Postby keggler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:40 pm

try using procmon from sysinternals to isolate the area on the pc (registry key or folder) where the permissions are inhibiting the service starting...once you do this,you'll have access to all your data once again...

you can use the native pgadmin outside of PT3 to back your db off...

but my guess is even if you do this, anniliate postgres and start from scratch,you'll still fail on the permissions; you need to nail that down 1st...

susan

p.s. with such a huge db of i guess,valuable hands for you,you should be backing the db off to another medium in any case, just for security...
keggler
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:53 am


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest