proper postgresql version and update procedure?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

proper postgresql version and update procedure?

Postby uberiza » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:25 pm

whats the best version of postgresql to run with pt3 and whats the proper way to install/update postgresql versions?

thanks
uberiza
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 am

Re: proper postgresql version and update procedure?

Postby keggler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:20 pm

pt3 ships with postgres 8.3 so i would guess this version...

8.3 is the most recent postgres in the postgres community generally...

migration to Version 8.3 - a dump/restore using pg_dump is required for those wishing to migrate data from any previous release.

you'll probably have to run this at the command line level - but i don't really know from this post what exactly you want to do - if for instance you have an older version of PT it might be best to simply export the HH's from this, create a fresh 8.3 postgres, and re-populate and cluster from scratch...

susan
keggler
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:53 am

Re: proper postgresql version and update procedure?

Postby uberiza » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:30 pm

k I can export all my hand histories to text files, then what do I need to do to update to 8.3. does it jsut install over the top? or do I remove my old version and install the new one or what.

and I dont know what you are talking about with the command line stuff. explanation wasn't very good or I'm retarded.
uberiza
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 am

Re: proper postgresql version and update procedure?

Postby bugsbunny » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:09 am

First of all what do you have installed now? If you have PT2 installed and you want to move to PT3 you're going to have to dump all your hands to text files and then re-import them

If you have an older version of Postgres and are already running PT3 and want to update (8.2.x or earlier to 8.3.x) then you need to do a dump and restore.

If you're running PT2 and you still want to run that along with PT3 then you need to do both.

You can do the dump and restore using pgadmin (although I prefer the command line myself). Assume the DB is called POKER. Start pgadmin, find POKER, right-click, "_Backup". Default options should be fine (Compress, Blobs, Verbose). Save the backup.

Install the new version of Postgres. Make sure you use the same usernames etc. Create an empty DB called POKER. Right-click, "_Restore", choose the backup file from above. (I'm about 90% sure that you should create the empty DB first when doing it this way. If you get an error about the DB already existing then DROP (delete) POKER then restore again (select any of the DB's to start the restore from). Just try it by creating the empty db first. As I said I prefer the command line but what I just wrote should work.
bugsbunny
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:29 am


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests